Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:59 PM
hdrk1111
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
peep sights

Anybody running peep sights on their takedown? If so what brand, and is it a set ? I am looking to convert mine as my eyes are not picking up the stock irons so well anymore. I use this as a backpacking rifle and would like to use open sights for plinking and small game and such out 50 yards or so.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 01-24-2017, 07:32 AM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bad news,everytime you take it apart you will lose the zero. Have the same problem , so I spent some money on an after market barrel with cantilever rail and mounted a red dot optic(had an eotech on the shelf. Now the squirrels don't laugh at me
Old 01-24-2017, 08:09 AM
mykdee
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have used Tech-Sights on my takedown for over a year and a half, well over 5,000 rounds. I have never had problems of having to re zero it. There peep sights and he wants to use it for backpacking, even if they are off by an 1/2 inch or so, you are not going to notice that little of a difference shooting off hand or prone. Takedowns are not made for bench shooting!

Old 01-24-2017, 08:16 AM
carriec
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
+1
Old 02-09-2017, 12:37 PM
pcisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi guys, first post here, great group by the way.
I just put a set of Skinner Sights on my TD. Here's a link, http://www.skinnersights.com/
I really like the peeps versus OEM blade, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I did have the issue that's noted on the website with the back part of the rear site hitting the contour on the back of the barrel. I had to file some of the dovetail as suggested on the website to make it fit. Not to happy with that but otherwise, great sites. And, it maintains zero being both sites mounted to the barrel. Also, another driver to this for me was using a different rail with a groove cut down the middle. Link, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This allows me to pull my red dot and still use the peeps without removing the rail.

Also, here's the thread that gave me the idea to do this in the first place, thanks again.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=821081

Last edited by pcisme; 02-09-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:06 PM
Chief_Brody

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also have Skinners on my Takedown. Holds zero every time. The aperture that ships with the sights is a bit large for my liking, but it's not a big deal for the plinking I do at the range. I did find that when shooting at dark-colored distant targets, I'd totally lose the front sight blade. I added some White-Out to to the blade, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet - that'll be Sunday. So far, though, I like the updated sight picture.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:18 PM
pcisme

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just painted my front site blade white also. Seems to help with contrast.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Nerostarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've used the skinner sights and the williams ace in the hole on my takedowns. I much prefer the ace in the hole as it gives you a longer sight radius. Both sights are excellent, just a matter of personal preference.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:38 AM
Chief_Brody

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update on applying White-Out to my Skinner front sight. I shot at an indoor range with friends yesterday. Standing (and leaning against the partition), I got 10 rounds into a hole the size of a quarter at 15 yards. I'll take it! Don't recall shooting that well before. I still think a smaller aperture would help. But, Skinner says the .125" (the size sight that I have, that ships with barrel mounted sights) is the "smallest practical size for normal shooting."

One other thing I tried, another member recommended tightening the adjustment ring for the barrel to the point that it required a little bit of strength to mate the two parts of the rifle. Hard to say if this noticeably improved accuracy, but it does feel better. Two halves of a rifle should be locking up pretty **** right.

Ammo I've been using: Federal AutoMatch, Remington Golden Bullets, and some Target-grade Remingtons that are most likely from the 1990s. I found those at a gun show recently and picked up a 500-round brick for a good price. The box was in excellent shape, so I figured the rounds would be, too. Assuming the age is a problem, there were several failures to fire with the target ammo. A couple of times, I put the round back into the magazine and tried again and it did go bang. Some time soon, I'll have to find a good amount of CCI and see how they do, too.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:30 AM
Knilc
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcisme View Post
Hi guys, first post here, great group by the way.
I just put a set of Skinner Sights on my TD. Here's a link, http://www.skinnersights.com/
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=821081
I saw the Skinner sights on a YouTube video. Being recently discharged from the Army, I'm used to the M16/M4 style iron sights so the factory sights are odd to me. I DEFINITELY want the Skinner sights on my gun.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:59 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Skinner Sights are great. I do have three rifles equipped with them.
Another thing about them, is that their customer service is awesome!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 PM
lmtucker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tech Sights work great for me. Return to zero every time. It's as accurate as any of my stock 10/22s
Old 04-20-2017, 09:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
sx ghost ring sights

I put a set of these on my takedown. Similar to the Skinner sights, but they have a white line down the middle of the front sight. So far so good. You might take a look. My best group has been 1" at 25 yards.