Canon DSLR cameras.....how much camera do I need? - Page 6 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:36 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

No, No, No......not too late at all. I'm finding likes and dislikes regarding the pretty nice mirrorless camera I am now using. Problem #1....it is small, small enough that you can easily press things that don't need pressing while you are shooting. The lens is significantly reducing its potential. And 100mm will just not get it for close ups of things that won't let you get....close up. On the other hand the batteries have held up fine, the pictures are sharp and I haven't run out of card even while making videos while tearing through the mangrove trails on an air boat tour this morning. Only the birders had more camera and they had considerably more camera......especially in the lens dept. 100mm is not birding glass that is for sure.

Some good points in your assessment C.C. I still think I will try to rent some cameras.....good DSLR Canon and Sony A7 series FF and cropped 6000 series and see how I like those. They are just a bit larger than the Olympus I am currently using and are a bit easier for me to hold. But...DSLRs are just big....I mean big. If I didn't mind big....I'd already have that 80D. 1917
Old 03-09-2017, 12:05 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Looks like you do good work with what you have!

Absolutely right! 100 mm is NOT a birding lens. Don't ask!

I am looking covetously at the Oly OM-D. Buuuut...I'll probably stick with my Nikons and complain about the weight!
Old 03-11-2017, 06:15 PM
Dickn52
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Late to this subject and no I did not read all of it. I have 2 Canons. T2i and a T6i. BOTH are excellent cameras and they get used quite a bit here in Florida.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:32 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Dickn52,

I think maybe it was earlier on this thread I mentioned I had a couple friends recommended a used T3i for what I want, take some pictures of my son competing in track and field. I'm to cheap to buy new comparative camera and an older used one if taken care of will be good for me for years. Question, do you think the T2i orT3i would still be good for my use?

I should probably put a WTT on trading post for camera equipment.

I have tried to learn from this thread and have. My problem is I will not commit the time to learning how to use a camera the way many of you have and I was told these are almost point and shoot if you want yet still can zoom in at 200yds the way I need.

Thanks and I will keep following this thread even though a lot of it is like reading Latin.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:09 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Above is a chart showing sensor sizes in the various cameras. Medium format probably isn't relevant to most of us.....only a very serious photographer. I think you can think of the sensor in terms of film......the larger the film....the more date it captures. The smaller the sensor...the less data it is capable of capturing. As you can see cell phones and point and shoot cameras have pretty small sensors. Are they good enough for your uses? That depends.....they are capable of pretty good pictures....see cell phone pictures and my original pictures at post 1. Those pictures are good.....but they have one thing in common.....good light.....except for the moon shot. That is where small sensors fail. Poor light or enlarging the photograph which will soon become pixilated.

As you move up the sensor size you move up in the amount of data to be captured and the pictures can be enlarged while still looking sharp. Once you move beyond the cell phone, point and shoot and bridge cameras ( a point and shoot with a zoom lense) you get into camera bodies that allow various lenses to be attached. These cameras also begin to offer image stabilization and a lot of controls. The advantage of being able to change lenses is that the camera can now be set up for about any type of photograph you wish to take. Wide angle lense, 14mm for landscapes or the interior of a house where you want to see the entire width of the room. Or, a wide angel to zoom lense that goes from 12mm to 85mm. The advantage here of course is a lens that offers a good deal of flexibility......the downside....a loss of light unless a very expensive lense.

It seems the next thing that begins to effect cost is quality of construction of the body and the lenses......just like everything else in life. Plastic is cheaper. Durable metal frame bodies that are water and dust proof add more to the cost. The quality of construction is simply more durable and expensive. Very important if you are a professional.

Just like firearms it is difficult for one camera to cover the bases. I keep a Walther P99 handy for house security while I carry a Smith bodyguard but neither is good for bird hunting and the finest .22 is suitable for deer hunting. I wandered off into the Everglades the other day to take pictures of whatever. There were gators, birds and while I was able to capture some pretty good pictures this is where a camera with a fairly large sensor and a long lens with good glass would be ideal. I would not have minded strapping on a big DSLR with a foot long lens for that hike. But I would mind carrying that camera everyday just in case something happened to catch my interest photography wise. I should point out that the mirrorless cameras are considerably smaller than some DSLRs......but that all becomes moot when you screw on a 300 or 400mm lens. You now are carrying a 12 gauge shotgun.....not a pocket pistol.

So where does all this leave a newbie.....confused.... If you just want to be able to capture a picture or make a movie any time something interesting pops up.....use your cell phone. You don't need a low end point and shoot although they are considerably cheaper than a cell phone for work in dusty, wet, dirty areas.

Some mirrorless cameras are pretty small like the Olympus OM series. 1/3 to 1/2 the size of a Big Canon or Nikon. The full frame Sony mirrorless are a little larger than the Olympus but still considerably smaller than the big DSLRs. Sony and Canon and Nikon and other do make smaller DSLRs. These are not pocket size but are considerably smaller and lighter than the big ones. These will be in the $600 range with a kit lens. I don't think there is really any way to wrap your brain around this without visiting a camera store and actually handling the cameras. Most will have lenses on them and you will understand really quickly what all this size and weight business is about. You will also be able to look at the lenses available. You will see what a 35mm or 50mm prime lens offers. Excellent light catching capability in a 1" to 2" long lens that keeps the camera as compact as possible. Just the lens for a walk about street camera. Then you will see what a 12" lens that is 3" or 4" in diameter will do size and weight wise to any camera.

In the end......it boils down to what are you going to do with this camera. Right now I'm thinking....cell phone and no point and shoot. Then I'm going to drop the idea of the Canon 80D....simply too large....when I think I can get the same quality of pictures from a much smaller DSLR or a mirrorless camera. Remember, I can screw on just about any lens I want to the smaller body. I don't make my living with a camera and I have no interest in blowing up my photos to 2', 5' or 8' sizes. In fact, I don't really like photos as art work as strange as that may sound. Paintings....oil, acrylic, water...yes...photos, no. But that is just me.

I think I am interested in the smaller and cheaper Canon DSLRs or the Sony cropped mirrorless. Then I will spend the savings on good lenses that fit my needs. For the photographs I'm interested in...I don't think I will see any difference in full frame vs cropped. I found the Olympus a bit too small and a number of times I had my thumb or other parts of my hand pressing buttons that didn't need to be pressed while I was photographing. I took a thousand or more shots so I have a pretty good feeling for that camera. Finally, I would suggest you pay close attention to how well you can grip and handle the camera. Most DSLRs excel at grip surfaces. If you have large hands, I don't, some of the smaller cameras might be a bit too small. This isn't a problem for one or two shots......but if you are flying down the swamp in an airboat....you need a easily gripped camera with the controls readily at hand. 1917
Old 04-05-2017, 10:36 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sony A7 II is what I keep coming back to. Big enough to comfortably grip, much smaller than the DSLRs I was interested in. The Sony 6500 seems good, cropped.....the A7 is good but image stabilization has been put in the II.

The pluses and minuses between these cameras are really small. One brand to another. The two higher grade A7s offer features I would not be interested in.

I returned the Olympus with thanks......took a lot of good pictures with it....but it is small with a lot of buttons my hands would accidentally press while shooting...not good. Cameras with a slightly larger body work better for me even though my hands aren't large. The A7 line can be easily held in one hand. The shutter button is better positioned on the II. Hope to order soon and then I will put up some pictures. 1917
Old 04-05-2017, 11:40 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
Sony A7 II is what I keep coming back to. Big enough to comfortably grip, much smaller than the DSLRs I was interested in. The Sony 6500 seems good, cropped.....the A7 is good but image stabilization has been put in the II.

The pluses and minuses between these cameras are really small. One brand to another. The two higher grade A7s offer features I would not be interested in.

I returned the Olympus with thanks......took a lot of good pictures with it....but it is small with a lot of buttons my hands would accidentally press while shooting...not good. Cameras with a slightly larger body work better for me even though my hands aren't large. The A7 line can be easily held in one hand. The shutter button is better positioned on the II. Hope to order soon and then I will put up some pictures. 1917
Do you still have your Minolta lenses? If you do they will fit the sony.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2017, 12:18 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
AZ.....this is the most challenging thing I've undertaken in years. I'd have a much better feel for it if I were to try about 6 different cameras. The on line reviews at places like DP are pretty useless.....geeks with all over the place comments on everything. The other thing is that these cameras are constantly changing.....every few months something new or upgraded is added. I'm almost thinking a $600 camera that will accommodate high end lenses is just as good as high end with high end lenses. Sony, Canon or 1/2 a dozen others. Brockwell rants and rants about how good the Fuji X100F is.....a film style point and shoot that is digital, simple and never screws up....but I don't thing you can change lenses. Still $1000. 1917

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 04-06-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:30 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.facebook.com/rhiannonskye
Check out my roommate albums. All done with nikon d3300. All with 18 to 55 and 55 to 300. She started with a Pentax first generation. So you can see you don't have to spend a lot.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2017, 04:49 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The pics look great AZ. I was comparing the Sony A6000 to the A6500 to the A7 II

Heck, except for image stabilization the a touch screen the older 6000 does everything the 6500 does and some better and faster. One is $500 and the other $1200. Yes the A7 steps up to full frame but I'm not sure I will see the difference as I don't plan on being a wedding photographer or blowing my pictures up really large. 8 1/2" x 11" is as big as I could ever imagine I would print.

If only those DSLRs weren't so big....the ones I'm looking at are huge.....with a capital H..... Might not even get the FF Sony.... All of the most popular Sony mirrorless versions seem to be in the top 20 rankings of all mirrorless...the more expensive well under the top 10. 1917