Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:40 AM
bgavin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimbrandt View Post
Please stand by, I'm still trying to find the right word to express my admiration...
I will second that.
It sure is nice to see real craftsmanship.

Kudos to the OP for his fine work.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:35 PM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks so much for the comments. I didnt think it would be of much interest.
Its getting to the point I have to come up with the hinges and case locks, I am still kicking that around.
I have some photos of the vintage machines being used.
This is a 1968 Delta Rockwell 12"-14" Tilting Arbor Saw, heavy solid machine.

This is a 1977 Rockwell 10" contractors saw, a lighter weight saw that I usually leave the box joint jig on.

A 1955, 9" DeWalt Radial Arm saw. This is the little one they made for home use, but has all the precision of the larger ones of the time.

One of my favorite machines, an early 50s Delta Scroll Saw, this came from the local Jr High school, I used it when I was in 7th grade around 1965.

Very good luck finding this 1959 Powermatic 16" planer, I drove all night in a snow storm to near Bozeman Montana to get this near mint condition machine.

The Shoda Spindle Moulder, an unusual Japanese machine from the 60s, weighs 2000lbs.

I have some other box photos I can put up also.
Finally moving to finishing, I am using an old Stanley N0 82 cabinet scraper for the last smoothing of the wood, instead of sandpaper. It will enhance the grain apperance, and leaves interesting tool marks. The wood has soft and hard spots, and its grain reverses, making for some interesting planing.

True oil time, the wood will darken condsiderably in a very short time.

A few random photos,

Last edited by donie; 12-25-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:27 AM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been using this case, the fold up rest feature is really nice.
I decided to not use any hardware at all, instead using latigo horse leather for 3 straps.
I need the lid to detach from the case, I use the padded inside surface to lay the rifle on for removing the action from the stock.
The basic kit and rifle weighs 18lbs, and 22lbs stuffed with 800 rounds. I found it best carried tucked under an arm, rather then a handle.
I am going to use this for the season, and see what should be changed, and hopefully make some more next winter.

Last edited by donie; 05-21-2017 at 04:38 AM.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:32 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Smile Looks Great!

Wish I could do that. You have some good looking tools. I remember using the tools in shop in high school back in the sixties. Your tools remind me of that time in my life. Good tools helps but one need the talent also. You have both.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
I love reading posts like this one

We have some seriously talented individuals here on this forum

Our school district took out all of the Auto, Metal and Wood shops in the High Schools and replaced them with Jr ROTC programs

When the shop equipment went up for auction, I could not find a bargain, so help me. Decent prices, but no bargains.
Darn
Darn
Darn

I had my eyes on one of the dozen or so Delta Unisaw's
Old 05-28-2017, 05:14 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkd View Post

Our school district took out all of the Auto, Metal and Wood shops in the High Schools and replaced them with Jr ROTC programs

That is truely a travesty.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 05-29-2017, 12:36 AM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The equipment is mostly all school shop equipment I was able to pick up about 5yrs ago when school systems in Washington, Idaho and Montana suddenly closed the programs.
At the time, so much equipment was being sold, it was going very cheap, except for the Delta Unisaw and the Powermatic 66 table saw. The saw I have is the larger Delta 12-14", those can still be found pretty cheap because they are 3phase powered, weigh close to 1000lbs, and have larger 1" arbor making blades more costly. The also larger Powermatic 72 table saws can be found for much better prices then the highly sought after and smaller model 66.
I think its sad the school programs are being closed.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:34 PM
Otony

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Donie,

Thank you for the heads up regarding this project. It is a joy to see your work, and I always thoroughly enjoy our chats when you come in the shop.

For those that are wondering what I'm referring to, I'm lucky enough to live in the same town as this talented fellow. We share a deep interest in vintage Harley-Davidsons, fine .22 rifles, and life in general. Donie's presence always has a calming effect on me, which is a rare blessing in this day and age.

Otony
Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM
troystat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice work. To the person who was asking about hardware, Lee Valley tools in Canada has a great hardware catalog and they have a lot of very nice hardware for boxes and such. They ship almost anywhere. I would suggest getting a copy both their tool and their hardware catalogs. I have made some pistol boxes but had not thought to make a rifle case.
Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM
troystat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Donnie that case turned out really nice, I like your shop as well. I do some woodworking but my shop is getting to cramped, so I don't have room for some of the tools I would like.
Old Today, 12:45 AM
bullseye67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bespoked is all I can say!!

Good evening,
BESPOKE...definition "to give order for it to be" or "made specifically for a particular item or person"
I haven't seen such excellent box making and well thought out design of making several items do multiple duties.
My great uncle was a cabinet, fine work carpenter. I have some of the toolboxes and other storage boxes he made. They are very utilitarian, but they are incredible well made. One of his favorite sayings was "Good tools do the work by their self"
Have an awesome weekend...

I agree LEE VALLEY Tools has the best hardware!
Old Today, 04:51 AM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been looking at current molded cases and noticed how much wasted space there is with a rifle surrounded with foam. I am using this case for travel in a small motor home where space is really limited. The case measures 3"X 8"X 41", and contains everything I think needed plus 800rounds when fully stuffed. It is practical in a sort of impractical way being made of wood. I have been wrapping the case with a travel blanket held on with ball end bungee cords when packing it away or moving it around.
I have been using this case a lot, the flip up rest is really nice, perhaps some maker of plastic cases will do the same.

My basement wood shop is another problem of putting a lot in a small space, I have most of the machines on wheels, and push them over to the side when they are not being used.
I just started on preparing some western maple for rifle case. The maple I have was rough milled 50yrs ago, but its wants to warp, so I am going to rip it and laminate it, and see if I can get a durable and stable case out of that wood.
The African bloodwood this case is made of, has very little warping problems, but its heavy like ebony, doesn't float.
Thanks for the great comments, I will post further progress!