Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:53 AM
BigTexasOne

Lantana, TX. A suburb of the DFW metromess
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No patent date? What year?

My question is about the date of manufacture on this gun, because it does not have any patent dates listed on the barrel and the serial number is unusual in that it is two digits then a dot and then three more digits, I've never seen one done that way can anyone here shed any light on this?

It's a Savage 1903 that fires 22 short only. I bought the gun when I was 12 years old, in 1963, at an auction and have had it every since. No work or restoration of any kind has ever been done to the guns since I've had it, however the stock had obviously been split and repaired before I got it. The work and filler with some sort of wood putty has been very stable and has showed no signs of separating or splitting. Somewhere along the line I lost the original 22 short only magazine and bought an original early 22 short, long, long rifle magazine to replace it.

M

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by BigTexasOne; 06-19-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:56 AM
steve99f
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SN 13814 makes it a 1904 built rifle. In the summer of that year probably. It's an early gun seeing as how these were introduced in 1903. The dot was sometimes used instead of a comma in the SN. No significance that has been uncovered in this. Early guns didn't have the 1906 patent date because they were made prior to the patent being granted. Somewhere at the end of 1905 and into 1906 the barrel roll mark showed "patent applied for". It was changed later on to the patent date of 12/25 1906.

Keep looking for the short only magazine, they are around. That rifle shipped with 2 of them.

I found a short only 1903 on GB a few years ago and consider myself lucky to have it.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:24 PM
BigTexasOne

Lantana, TX. A suburb of the DFW metromess
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, I've been watching, somewhat sporadically, for about a year now. I know I'll eventually find one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk