Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:14 PM
JimClark
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Not locked into a 10/22 at all I just thought this was a forum for all the other 22 rifles out there but i guess I was wrong. I really don't want to go over $450.00 as I have to spend another $150.00 to join the range. Seems like everything I like is out of stock. Been looking at the Gunbroker.com but that costs more as I have to pay the transfer fee so i will probably just buy something new locally.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:20 AM
Notime2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jim, If you want selection go to DJ,s Loans in Bothell, just west of the Post Office. Bruce carries a large selection of new & used. Jeff @ Sound Pawn in Everett is the most reasonable place to transfer, north of the County Buildings. Just be aware if you order from a dealer, he has to charge tax, private parties only the cost of transfer. Watch www.waguns.org Notime2

Last edited by Notime2; 06-09-2017 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Sorry Jim, changed url to org.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:27 PM
JimClark
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok got a curve ball thrown at me today. In looking for a rifle I didn't think about my vision. A few years back I had cataract surgery on both eyes and they were corrected for distance. I might have to add a scope as I might not be able to see iron sights very well. I know scopes can be very pricey but would would be a workable scope for target shooting?

Old 06-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Larks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
Ok got a curve ball thrown at me today. In looking for a rifle I didn't think about my vision. A few years back I had cataract surgery on both eyes and they were corrected for distance. I might have to add a scope as I might not be able to see iron sights very well. I know scopes can be very pricey but would would be a workable scope for target shooting?
Whatís your budget Jim?

I have issues with vision as well so put a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x40 scope on my Anschutz for competition and it is superb, but up around the $900 mark. However since then I put a cheaper Simons 6-24x44 scope on my Brno that was about $250.00 and that does the job just fine. More recently I pulled out an old 4x32 Astron scope (that I bought as a kid for my first .22 rifle about 45 years ago for maybe $20.00) and stuck it on air rifle for back yard target practice and that has proven to be perfectly adequate for the task.

I find the zoom capable scopes good for target practice, being able to zoom out at closer ranges (to reduce the magnification effect of wobbling all over the shop) and to zoom in at the longer targets.

So it depends on your budget, but ultimately it will also boil down to what looks clear to you when you look through them. Some of the cheap eBay knock-offs seem OK but Iíve seen guys at the range with mixed results - some have had no problem others are constantly having to relight after loosing alignment mid-way through a comp.

Re reticles - I prefer a simple target dot reticle for target shooting, but that will come down to your own preference.

I also like the idea of a side focus scope (as opposed to reaching around to the front of the scope to focus), easier to focus with one hand without having to rest the rifle on a bench or against a post. But when I looked at that option with Leopold they donít seem to focus well up close for a 25 metre target range, OK for 50 metres and longer but thatís not much use for target comp.

Leupold and a few others offer a lifetime warranty, Leupold (for example) donít care whether itís on its 10th owner and been bounced around the back of a ute for 20 years, theyíll still repair or replace it.

Red field are also worth looking at - a partner/sister/subsidiary (or something) of Leupold. I have a Redfield spotting scope and it is a nice bit of kit.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:14 AM
JimClark
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
Whatís your budget Jim?

I have issues with vision as well so put a Leupold VX3 6.5-20x40 scope on my Anschutz for competition and it is superb, but up around the $900 mark. However since then I put a cheaper Simons 6-24x44 scope on my Brno that was about $250.00 and that does the job just fine. More recently I pulled out an old 4x32 Astron scope (that I bought as a kid for my first .22 rifle about 45 years ago for maybe $20.00) and stuck it on air rifle for back yard target practice and that has proven to be perfectly adequate for the task.

I find the zoom capable scopes good for target practice, being able to zoom out at closer ranges (to reduce the magnification effect of wobbling all over the shop) and to zoom in at the longer targets.

So it depends on your budget, but ultimately it will also boil down to what looks clear to you when you look through them. Some of the cheap eBay knock-offs seem OK but Iíve seen guys at the range with mixed results - some have had no problem others are constantly having to relight after loosing alignment mid-way through a comp.

Re reticles - I prefer a simple target dot reticle for target shooting, but that will come down to your own preference.

I also like the idea of a side focus scope (as opposed to reaching around to the front of the scope to focus), easier to focus with one hand without having to rest the rifle on a bench or against a post. But when I looked at that option with Leopold they donít seem to focus well up close for a 25 metre target range, OK for 50 metres and longer but thatís not much use for target comp.

Leupold and a few others offer a lifetime warranty, Leupold (for example) donít care whether itís on its 10th owner and been bounced around the back of a ute for 20 years, theyíll still repair or replace it.

Red field are also worth looking at - a partner/sister/subsidiary (or something) of Leupold. I have a Redfield spotting scope and it is a nice bit of kit.
Well I was hoping the rifle would be under 400. Think I am going to go to a range and rent s pistol and try that as I think I can see a pistol sights will be much easier to for me to see.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2017, 07:07 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
The front sights of pistols and rifles are at about the same distance from your eye and the front sight is what you need to see clearly. The target and rear sight should be less clear. If you can shoot iron sights on a pistol you might be able to use them on a rifle, especially with a longer barrel and if the rear sight is not too far back. Or try cheap weak reading glasses.

If you must get a scope, my Centerpoint 4-16x40 for about $80 at Walmart is an excellent inexpensive scope. I have better scopes but this one was definitely the best for the money and it's the only one where the distance calibrations on the AO are accurate.

Last edited by CardPuncher; 06-11-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:29 AM
Larks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Well I was hoping the rifle would be under 400. Think I am going to go to a range and rent s pistol and try that as I think I can see a pistol sights will be much easier to for me to see.

If you go to pistol and have your eyesight corrected for distance you may find that you have difficulty focusing on the fore-sight suitably for shooting open sights well. I have glasses specifically for shooting open sight - i.e. set to the distance of my fore-sight, which means I do lose a bit of target focus but not so much that I canít still shoot well at 25 metres. At 50 metres I do start to struggle a bit with open sights.

However a red dot scope (no magnification) is ideal when wearing my distance glasses and I get perfect vision of both the sight and the target.

Again though, both pistol and sight will depend on your budget and what calibre you want to shoot and what competitions you want to compete in.

A .22 pistol will give you all the fun you need at an affordable price for ammo, accuracy of pistols varies widely and a decent second hand firearm with a reputation for accuracy is often the better way to go than new.

If you want to go up to a centre fire round (.38 special, .38 super etc) your ammo will be more expensive and youíll eventually want to get into reloading and there are set up costs there.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:00 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:

I'm assuming given your budget for the rifle you don't want to spend a ton of $ on a scope. IMO a good option may be the Vortex Crossfire II 6-18◊. They have good glass, parallax adjust down to 10 yards, lifetime warranty, and are on sale at Cameraland right now for $139. Great price for this scope.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:34 PM
JimClark
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I'm assuming given your budget for the rifle you don't want to spend a ton of $ on a scope. IMO a good option may be the Vortex Crossfire II 6-18◊. They have good glass, parallax adjust down to 10 yards, lifetime warranty, and are on sale at Cameraland right now for $139. Great price for this scope.
Thanks very much for all the help. I am going to go to a range tomorrow and rent a pistol to try out. I am only going to use 22LR as I have an old Stevens Crackshot 26 22LR I also want to shoot.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:38 AM
JimClark
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just wondering if I was shooting at a range that had 25, 50 and 100 yards and I mostly shot at the 25 and 50 yard station would your opinion change?

Old 06-13-2017, 02:42 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Just wondering if I was shooting at a range that had 25, 50 and 100 yards and I mostly shot at the 25 and 50 yard station would your opinion change?

Who's opinion? And about what?
Old 06-14-2017, 08:46 AM
judgejohnmd
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can't go wrong with Randy at CPC; a great guy, and a sponsor of Rimfire Central: used 10/22 carbine-&165.00; Randys full tuneup-$215.00; sold stock for $30.00(Have a predator laying around); so for around $ 350 you have a really sweet shooting, very reliable rifle for target or hunting, should you decide to do both.
John in Maryland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2017, 02:01 AM
Mossbergman

Hollow log along the Susquehanna River, Dauphin County Pa.
TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctxflyer View Post
Only need to know two letters.

CZ
Also make note I f you buy your first CZ you'll be back for more accurate a out of the box trigger you can adjust and live with ....I ended up with 4 . the /Americans are sweet and that 28" bbl Ultra Lux ya got to have, then the Beauty of the FS mannilicher stock screams for a place in the stable ,and so it goes . never regretted buying any of them ~~JMJ~~
Old 06-19-2017, 02:05 AM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejohnmd View Post
Can't go wrong with Randy at CPC; a great guy, and a sponsor of Rimfire Central: used 10/22 carbine-&165.00; Randys full tuneup-$215.00; sold stock for $30.00(Have a predator laying around); so for around $ 350 you have a really sweet shooting, very reliable rifle for target or hunting, should you decide to do both.
John in Maryland

This ! + 1000 !
Old 06-19-2017, 11:04 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejohnmd View Post
John in Maryland

I've upgraded a lot of 10/22's and the full tune-up from CPC IMO is definitely the best bang for your buck.