Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

High-end custom 22lr expectations

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  drknite 
#1 ·
When I say high-end, I’m thinking of a custom build by guys like Gorham, Calfee, etc…on actions such as Turbo.

Does it make sense to go that route if you’re not willing to do lot testing?
Will you see any accuracy improvement with mid-grade ammo (like center X) over an Anschutz?

#2 ·
You might get lucky and see some improvement with second grade ammo at less than 10.00 a box but it is very unlikely. One or two boxes out of a lot might shoot really well but depending on a whole case to shoot well is expecting a lot. You could waste a lot of money shooting cheap ammo to find out the hard way. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but the law of averages is against you. I'm having a hard time finding really good ammo in eley match and midas +. But now I'm talking really good compared to pretty good. Wayne

#3 ·
Just wondering why you would have a custom built or even buy a used one by one of the best gunsmiths in the country then not use top grade ammo to try and get the very best out of it. I am not crazy about the constant search for quality ammo but it is just a part you try and learn to live with. Good luck with whatever you decide.

#5 ·
For top level RF benchrest shooting, a great custom rifle and lot tested ammo is just the way it is. I'd agree. If you're not going to lot test ammo, just buy a stock Anschutz and learn to live with the results. Seems short sighted to buy a top level gun, then roll the dice on your ammo. At least with the Anschutz, you won't be nearly as ****ed about mediocre results.

#6 ·
When I say high-end, I'm thinking of a custom build by guys like Gorham, Calfee, etc…on actions such as Turbo.

Does it make sense to go that route if you're not willing to do lot testing?
Will you see any accuracy improvement with mid-grade ammo (like center X) over an Anschutz?
Take a 20 minute drive and visit

Stiller's Precision Firearms, LLC
118 Regency Drive
Wylie, TX 75098
972-429-5000
talk to Russ or Jerry and explain what you would like to know.

Center X will ( depending on the lot ) shoot well.

#7 ·
Just wondering why you would have a custom built or even buy a used one by one of the best gunsmiths in the country then not use top grade ammo to try and get the very best out of it.
If you're not going to lot test ammo, just buy a stock Anschutz and learn to live with the results. Seems short sighted to buy a top level gun, then roll the dice on your ammo.
EXACTLY what I was thinking as soon as I read the initial question.

If somebody is going to be satisfied with less-than-top-shelf ammo, why spend thousands of dollars on something to shoot it?

#9 ·
The question is more about lot testing and not mid-grade ammo. I don’t mind shooting expensive ammo. But at this point I don’t see myself running after good lots. It will drive me crazy.

I have several 22lrs. My two most accurate rifles consist of an Anschutz 54 sporter and a custom CZ 455 (with Shilen Ratchet and cone breech chamber). They both shoot in the high 0.2s at 50Y with ammo they like. That Anschutz is actually pretty accurate with the cheaper Eley Clubs.

The purpose of this post was to understand what’s the limiting factor here. My rifles, or the fact that I don’t do lot testing. If it’s the latter, I’d be happy to keep my current setup and add another Anschutz (thinking of a 1710HB) to the herd.

BTW I'm not planning to do any BR competitions. Actually I prefer to stick with repeaters.

#12 ·
The question is more about lot testing and not mid-grade ammo. I don't mind shooting expensive ammo. But at this point I don't see myself running after good lots. It will drive me crazy.

I have several 22lrs. My two most accurate rifles consist of an Anschutz 54 sporter and a custom CZ 455 (with Shilen Ratchet and cone breech chamber). They both shoot in the high 0.2s at 50Y with ammo they like. That Anschutz is actually pretty accurate with the cheaper Eley Clubs.

The purpose of this post was to understand what's the limiting factor here. My rifles, or the fact that I don't do lot testing. If it's the latter, I'd be happy to keep my current setup and add another Anschutz (thinking of a 1710HB) to the herd.

BTW I'm not planning to do any BR competitions. Actually I prefer to stick with repeaters.
Custom actions come in sporter/repeater as well.
https://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/actions/stiller/2500xs-by-spf-sporter-22lr-action.html

With the action, barrel, stock and trigger, plus a little professional fitting, you should end up well under 3K.

George

#10 ·
But at this point I don't see myself running after good lots.
You won't bother testing ammo, but think that you can somehow buy your way in with a more expensive custom gun?

The purpose of this post was to understand what's the limiting factor here. My rifles, or the fact that I don't do lot testing.
Without testing, you'll never know what the limiting factor is.

Did you get lucky, and find the most accurate ammo on the shelf on your first, blind, purchase? Or did you get a sub-par lot, that doesn't agree with your rifle? Is the ammo as good as you'll find, but there's an issue with the rifle? By accepting the first stuff you run through the rifle, even with a fancy name on the little box, you're just making expensive guesses.

It will drive me crazy.
You seem obsessed with trying to get more accuracy, through the purchase/build of a new custom rifle, yet don't have the desire or inclination to find the best ammo for it? To me, THAT is crazy.

#11 ·
No offense but the 1710 anschutz is probably the way to go in your case. The only way you can get the best out of a custom is to do the lot testing. If your not doing benchrest competition you already own two very accurate rifles. I question whether the 1710 can consistently shoot better than what you already have.

#13 ·
I understand the question and OP's desires. Will a custom rifle shoot any beter than what I have with off the shelf ammo? Its a good question.

I would like to own a winning quality rifle, but Ido not compete in BR.

For testing, I go as far as which brand shoots best and leave it at that.

Once you get to the ammo part of competiton, I would loose interest. Handloading for CF is exciting.

David

#14 ·
I understand the question and OP's desires. Will a custom rifle shoot any beter than what I have with off the shelf ammo? Its a good question.

I would like to own a winning quality rifle, but Ido not compete in BR.

For testing, I go as far as which brand shoots best and leave it at that.

Once you get to the ammo part of competiton, I would loose interest. Handloading for CF is exciting.

David
Exactly. Thank you for understanding the purpose of my question.

I'm like you. Except I don't like to handload for my CFs. But I do and I have to if I want to get the maximum accuracy/velocity for long range and use bullets I like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.