Walther Sportmodell Meisterbüchse ID? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-19-2017, 12:18 PM
dbuffington

Join Date: 
Jan 2004
Posts: 
1,632
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Walther Sportmodell Meisterbüchse ID?



Log in to see fewer ads
Hi Folks!

In this week’s exciting episode of “What Did I Buy?” we have a Walther Sportmodell Meisterbüchse …









Any thoughts on identification would be welcome, but also …

- Is the micrometer tangent sight meant to be mounted on the receiver, the barrel or either?

- There is a small screw recessed in a small hole under the bolt handle. Is that a trigger weight adjustment?

- There is a small hole in the front of the plastic (Bakelite?) trigger guard. What is its function?

Thanks in advance!
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-19-2017, 05:05 PM
gewehrfreund's Avatar
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2003
Location: 
Here, and then gone
Posts: 
1,867
TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
That's a nice example.

The sight is a rear barrel sight, so it is in the wrong place.
The hole near the bolt handle is an access point for a trigger adjustment screw, but it does not adjust weight; it is a sear engagement adjustment for the two-stage trigger.
I am not familiar with the hole in front of the trigger guard, unless it is an attachment for a palm rest.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-19-2017, 06:15 PM
dbuffington

Join Date: 
Jan 2004
Posts: 
1,632
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
That's a nice example.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
The sight is a rear barrel sight, so it is in the wrong place.
OK, that's a 10-second fix, but ... I'm really thinking about putting a scope on it instead. What would be a period-appropriate scope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
The hole near the bolt handle is an access point for a trigger adjustment screw, but it does not adjust weight; it is a sear engagement adjustment for the two-stage trigger.
Thanks again! By the way ... Is it correct that the trigger assembly uses a roller bearing?
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 03-19-2017, 06:28 PM
gewehrfreund's Avatar
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2003
Location: 
Here, and then gone
Posts: 
1,867
TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuffington View Post
Thanks!



OK, that's a 10-second fix, but ... I'm really thinking about putting a scope on it instead. What would be a period-appropriate scope?



Thanks again! By the way ... Is it correct that the trigger assembly uses a roller bearing?
Period appropriate scopes for these older German 22 sporters can be anything from a Zeiss Zielklein, to any of the other German scope brands, and there were a lot of them. They are usually 22mm (7/8"). Not only is it difficult to find the scopes, it's even harder to find the correct rings/mounts, and when you do, they are very expensive. I'd just go ahead and put a vintage 1" scope (or even 3/4" or 7/8") on for now and enjoy shooting it.

Yes, as I recall, my Walther Model V also uses a roller bearing on the trigger, which is one of the reasons the triggers can be adjusted to such a nice letoff.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-19-2017, 06:34 PM
dbuffington

Join Date: 
Jan 2004
Posts: 
1,632
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Period appropriate scopes for these older German 22 sporters can be anything from a Zeiss Zielklein, to any of the other German scope brands, and there were a lot of them. They are usually 22mm (7/8"). Not only is it difficult to find the scopes, it's even harder to find the correct rings/mounts, and when you do, they are very expensive. I'd just go ahead and put a vintage 1" scope (or even 3/4" or 7/8") on for now and enjoy shooting it.
Sounds like a plan. Will 11 mm dovetail rings work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Yes, as I recall, my Walther Model V also uses a roller bearing on the trigger, which is one of the reasons the triggers can be adjusted to such a nice letoff.
It does have a nice letoff, but the feel is unusual. No bad, just unusual. I feel like I can feel the roller through the trigger. Am I dreaming?

Thanks again!
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-19-2017, 08:15 PM
obx22's Avatar
obx22

Join Date: 
Mar 2002
Location: 
Dare County N.C.
Posts: 
3,015
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What a great find! Yes they have the roller bearing on a ramp 2-stage trigger with exterior sear engagement adjustment. These guns scream quality, and honestly they didn't change much through to the KKM match series (much more refined trigger, but same basic action. Mine loves Federal match:

I'm sure yours will serve you well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-19-2017, 08:45 PM
dbuffington

Join Date: 
Jan 2004
Posts: 
1,632
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by obx22 View Post
What a great find!
Thanks for all the info and kind words! Yours is a real beauty though. Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:55 PM
dbuffington

Join Date: 
Jan 2004
Posts: 
1,632
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Whoa! I just discover the cool little wheel on the back of the rear sight that lets you select the shape of the rear sight notch.

But mine doesn't want to turn. Is there some sort of release? Or do I just need to encourage it with some penetrating lube and a nylon drift?

Thanks!
Dave
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2015 RimfireCentral.com
x