Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:18 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Walther Sportmodell Meisterbüchse ID?

Hi Folks!

In this week’s exciting episode of “What Did I Buy?” we have a Walther Sportmodell Meisterbüchse …

Any thoughts on identification would be welcome, but also …

- Is the micrometer tangent sight meant to be mounted on the receiver, the barrel or either?

- There is a small screw recessed in a small hole under the bolt handle. Is that a trigger weight adjustment?

- There is a small hole in the front of the plastic (Bakelite?) trigger guard. What is its function?

Thanks in advance!
Dave
Old 03-19-2017, 05:05 PM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
That's a nice example.

The sight is a rear barrel sight, so it is in the wrong place.
The hole near the bolt handle is an access point for a trigger adjustment screw, but it does not adjust weight; it is a sear engagement adjustment for the two-stage trigger.
I am not familiar with the hole in front of the trigger guard, unless it is an attachment for a palm rest.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:15 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
That's a nice example.
Thanks!

Quote:
The sight is a rear barrel sight, so it is in the wrong place.
OK, that's a 10-second fix, but ... I'm really thinking about putting a scope on it instead. What would be a period-appropriate scope?

Quote:
The hole near the bolt handle is an access point for a trigger adjustment screw, but it does not adjust weight; it is a sear engagement adjustment for the two-stage trigger.
Thanks again! By the way ... Is it correct that the trigger assembly uses a roller bearing?

Old 03-19-2017, 06:28 PM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuffington View Post
Thanks!

OK, that's a 10-second fix, but ... I'm really thinking about putting a scope on it instead. What would be a period-appropriate scope?

Thanks again! By the way ... Is it correct that the trigger assembly uses a roller bearing?
Period appropriate scopes for these older German 22 sporters can be anything from a Zeiss Zielklein, to any of the other German scope brands, and there were a lot of them. They are usually 22mm (7/8"). Not only is it difficult to find the scopes, it's even harder to find the correct rings/mounts, and when you do, they are very expensive. I'd just go ahead and put a vintage 1" scope (or even 3/4" or 7/8") on for now and enjoy shooting it.

Yes, as I recall, my Walther Model V also uses a roller bearing on the trigger, which is one of the reasons the triggers can be adjusted to such a nice letoff.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:34 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Period appropriate scopes for these older German 22 sporters can be anything from a Zeiss Zielklein, to any of the other German scope brands, and there were a lot of them. They are usually 22mm (7/8"). Not only is it difficult to find the scopes, it's even harder to find the correct rings/mounts, and when you do, they are very expensive. I'd just go ahead and put a vintage 1" scope (or even 3/4" or 7/8") on for now and enjoy shooting it.
Sounds like a plan. Will 11 mm dovetail rings work?

Quote:
Yes, as I recall, my Walther Model V also uses a roller bearing on the trigger, which is one of the reasons the triggers can be adjusted to such a nice letoff.
It does have a nice letoff, but the feel is unusual. No bad, just unusual. I feel like I can feel the roller through the trigger. Am I dreaming?

Thanks again!
Dave
Old 03-19-2017, 08:15 PM
obx22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What a great find! Yes they have the roller bearing on a ramp 2-stage trigger with exterior sear engagement adjustment. These guns scream quality, and honestly they didn't change much through to the KKM match series (much more refined trigger, but same basic action. Mine loves Federal match:

I'm sure yours will serve you well.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:45 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by obx22 View Post
What a great find!
Thanks for all the info and kind words! Yours is a real beauty though. Congrats!
Old 03-20-2017, 07:55 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Whoa! I just discover the cool little wheel on the back of the rear sight that lets you select the shape of the rear sight notch.

But mine doesn't want to turn. Is there some sort of release? Or do I just need to encourage it with some penetrating lube and a nylon drift?

Thanks!
Dave