Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:06 PM
fabpeter

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Remington Premier 17 HMR ammo.

So, finding myself completely out of 17HMR ammo, I called in at the LGS to pick up my usual Hornady VMax 17 grain.
The only 17HMR he had was Remington Premier 17 grain!

Now I would'nt normally buy Remington ammo for my 22LR and have always been happy with the Hornady in the 17.
Being a bit reluctant about Remington ammo in general, I did a bit of research.
The outcome of this was that I discovered that the Remington Premier is produced by CCI, which I understand is the producer of my usual Hornady ammo, so off I went to buy some.

I got 600 rounds and passed 250 onto my shooting pal.

Having just put a sling on the CZ, I thought I'd go to the range today to practice shooting "off the sling."

I shot 50 rounds and had 3 hang fires which I have never experienced before.
I made a point of collecting the brass for inspection, to see if I could find the cause.
I'm used to having the odd split cases, but was surprised to find almost half of the Remington cases had split necks.

I got a new box of the Remington ammo and was examining individual rounds and was shocked to find split necks in the unfired rounds.

I checked all 300 rounds which I had remaining and discovered 32 to have split necks!

I dont know if this could be the cause of the hang fires but, maybe if it is old stock, the splits have allowed moisture to get into the propellant or primer, causing the issue.

Anyway, I just thought it was worth making folks aware of this, as I will be making my LGS aware on Monday morning! LOL.

Peter.

Last edited by fabpeter; 10-22-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:10 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Likely a lot with some age on it, some say the older .17 hmr would occasionally show splits even before firing, that's my guess anyway.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:38 PM
fabpeter

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yes I think you are probably correct there Gerald!

It'll be back to the Hornady for me....................as soon as the LGS gets some in that is.

Peter.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:49 PM
danielphelps

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've tried every brand of ammo except Remington the price tag always scared me away. Any reason for them to be 8 dollars a box higher than hornady?
Old 12-22-2016, 01:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, Remington thinks they can get $8 more for the "Premier" label on the box.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:54 PM
grnsierra01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a Marlin .17 HMR from a guy about 4 years ago and he gave me two boxes of Hornady 17 grain rounds that had 100 split necks in the sealed boxes.

They seemed to be pretty old based on the tips being more burgandy than red, but they were definitely Hornady rounds that were split badly.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:40 AM
fabpeter

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have had Hornady VMax in the past where the poly-tips have been BROWN, but a quick burnish with a cloth and they've come up RED! I can only assume that it has some kind of lube which tends to discolour.

In other news..................I took the 32 rounds with split necks to the range last week with the intention of shooting them off.................was I being daft?..............maybe, but all in the interests of scientific research eh.

So, eyes, ears and my old welding gloves on...........a "secluded" firing point and off we go!

Results? Well I'm still here but...............

9 definite hang fires of varying duration.

11 FTFs, all ejected the case but left the bullet behind and required "rodding out" with my faithful 1/8" brazing wire.

Most definitely old stock, so I will not be doing that again!

My mate has a couple of hundred Hornady VMax which we are going to closely inspect, but I dont anticipate issues on this scale.

LGS still awaiting the Hornady VMax delivery, so it's a waiting game!

Peter.

Last edited by fabpeter; 12-24-2016 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have some Remington Premier .17 HMR ammunition, but haven't shot any yet. After reading fabpeter's experience with this load, I inspected some rounds and didn't find any split necks. Not to say, though, that I might not experience this after firing.

I have a couple of questions about this ammo that those of you more experienced with the .17HMR might be able to answer:

1. Who makes the bullet? The belief seems to prevail that all the polymer-tipped bullets in this caliber are made by Hornady. The CCI, Hornady, and Federal versions all refer to the bullet as a "V-Max". This probably suggests that it's a Hornady bullet in all cases. (And I believe that CCI has confirmed that it indeed does assemble the rounds for these various brands using Hornady bullets.) However, the Remington load is described as having an "Accutip-V" bullet. When placed alongside the Hornady round, the bullet looks identical to the Hornady bullet, except for color of the polymer tip.

2. Why is the Remington load so much more expensive that all the other polymer-tip loads? It seems to run close to 40% higher (like $18/50 vs. $13/50) than the V-Max loads from the other brands.

Aside from fabpeter's depressing findings, have there been some range tests with the Remington load that might suggest better QC and, consequently, better accuracy that might justify the higher price?
Old 01-14-2017, 07:14 PM
Steve in IN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
For 1., check out the Manufacturers Sticky, above.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in IN View Post
For 1., check out the Manufacturers Sticky, above.
Thanks, Steve. Looks as if all components are the same in the CCI, Hornady, Federal, and Remington polymer-tipped .17 HMR ammunition--all assembled by CCI. (So the V-Max and Accutip-V bullets are identical.) And it looks as if tolerances and quality control may be equal as well. If so, I don't understand Remington's significantly-higher prices. However, if Remington requires tighter tolerances for the ammunition CCI assembles for the Remington label, the higher price would be understandable.

I ran across this article comparing several .17HMR ammunition lines. In the comparison, the Hornady V-Max and Remington Accutip-V loads were included. In this brief comparison, the Remington load exhibited considerably lower extreme spread in velocity. Admittedly a tiny comparison, but could it indicate better quality control for the Remington version?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_ammo.htm
Old 03-17-2017, 02:32 PM
mmpsteve

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fabpeter, do I understand correctly that the hangfires eventually ignited, after varying time frames? I've never had this happen to me, and find that to be mucho scary. How do you know how long to wait before manually ejecting? Apologies if I'm just being dense; it happens to me sometimes
Old 03-17-2017, 09:46 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (81)
17hmr

I had some federal 17hmr with split necks and i called federal. They e-mailed me a return label and ups picked up ammo and federal issued me a refund. I do not know if Remington would issue a refund but it is worth a try.

Last edited by webfoot56; 03-17-2017 at 10:09 PM.