Is Old Brown Shoe a Super Sport Heavy ?? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:07 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is Old Brown Shoe a Super Sport Heavy ??

This is Old Brown Shoe.
It's not a build, just a Factory Target, that I got NIB last fall.
This is my first 10/22. Semi Auto's aren't legal for hunting, here in PA, so I never tried one.
Since I quite hunting, I'm getting a lot more range time.
Around the same time I got the gun, I found RFC. I then came to the conclusion, that the Factory T was a mediocre shooter.
I decided I was going to see how far I could go with it, and squeeze every .001 , out of it that I can. I've learned a few things along the way, and picked up a few helpful tips reading in Super Stock. One of the SS members mentioned, my gun may qualify as a Heavy. I've read the rules, and think it may.
So here I am.

This is Old Brown Shoe.

Ruger Target- ( factory stock and barrel )

Brimstone tier 2.

Kidd--threaded receiver pins, buffer, scalloped bolt, and charging handle.

Aluminum tape bedded receiver.

Two 1-1/4" Permatex pads in the receiver, One in front of the take down, and one in the middle.

It now has a Nikon 3x9 EFR on it. But I just Got a Mueller 8x 32 Target. I'm waiting for a Kidd base, and Burris Sig Zee rings to get here.

I would like to participate in the games , they keep me reaching for that extra .001, that may be out there.

I do have a few questions. But the first one is, am I Super Sport Heavy ?

Edit- As of 9/22/16 It now has a Kidd, 18", polished Black Bull barrel.

Last edited by Hawkeye57; 09-22-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:59 PM
Manford Trens

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Yup Great to have you here!!!
Old 05-26-2016, 05:12 PM
BigSky1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Sure is!

Nice bed on your truck by the way, farm boy like me saw that right away...

Old 05-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Perfect for this Forum!

Welcome to SuperSport!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 05-27-2016, 05:24 PM
plinker4life

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Love factory blued hammer forged barrels.! WELCOME!
Old 05-27-2016, 09:51 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I think the older blued shiny hammer forged barrels are the prettiest 10/22 barrels ever made be they factory or after market.....

Old 05-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys.
I like the Hammer Forged look. But I have seen older ones, and ones that have been redone, that had better looking bluing .
I have a friend, that's a retired gunsmith. He still does barrel work, for people he knows.
So I may get the chamber redone, and get it re blued, this winter.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:34 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Done correctly a good re chamber jobs can make a Ruger barrels shoot as well as the after market barrels. Ruger actually makes a GREAT barrel and then they mess it up with chambers are too loose. Set it back and re cut the chamber and it is amazing what can happen. Just remember there are about 100 different chamber reamer types out there.

Right now your barrel has some version of the Bentz Chamber so you will want to go tighter than that. Just 10-15 years ago it was thought that the 10/22 needed a chamber no tighter than the Bentz to function properly. This was so they would be reliable. We have found out that a properly done 10/22 can take a much tighter chamber than that. I have one that is tighter than a Anshutz Match and while it can be slightly picky about really cheap bulk pack ammo it shoots good ammo with out any problems at all!!

I say this because unless your gun smith friend knows what is up to date he may very well choose something like another version of the Bentz and you can get your barrel back shooting no better than now so be sure to let him know that you are getting a chamber that is up to date and tighter than what you have. Good luck with a great rifle. I think it has a very good chance to really shine here in SuperSport

Old 01-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A few changes

There has been a few changes to Old Brown Shoe since my first post.
It now has a Mueller 8x32 target , a Kidd 18" bull, a new stock, and a rear button hold down.
My wife got me a stock for Christmas that I had been looking at, from one of our makers, lbjennings.
After inletting for the button, a little Devcon bedding, a Permatex support for the tip, a polish with rottenstone, and a coat of Renaissance. I finally got it back together.

I guess all that's left is counting the days until spring.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:44 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye57 View Post
There has been a few changes to Old Brown Shoe since my first post.
It now has a Mueller 8x32 target , a Kidd 18" bull, a new stock, and a rear button hold down.
My wife got me a stock for Christmas that I had been looking at, from one of our makers, lbjennings.
After inletting for the button, a little Devcon bedding, a Permatex support for the tip, a polish with rottenstone, and a coat of Renaissance. I finally got it back together.

I guess all that's left is counting the days until spring.
Nice to see a good leftie stock.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
Old 01-21-2017, 01:53 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Nice either way stock.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Gee....A Ruger "T" barrel that looks very much like the original barrel on Old Brown Shoe has wandered over to my house!

Set back and re chambered by Randy @ CPC and has his 2" muzzle back bore as well! I am just amazed how things seem to be falling into place for my first SuperSport rifle (indeed my first heavy barrel 10/22 of any kind). Found a nice old style DSP stock with the butt plate rather than a recoil pad (I hope it does not beat my shoulder to death not having a pad). I also found a very nice bolt on E Bay that has "RUGER" engraved on the side you see. It will need to be pinned and maybe headspaced.

Gonna have to do what Ricochet used to do all the time by stealing (borrowing) a scope and trigger from one of the other rifles until I can afford those. Actually I have one trigger assembly that was on African Rose when I got it but the housing it tweaked so bad you have to pound the cross pins in Maybe I can find a housing because I have the guts. If I wait, maybe buy a machined housing instead of the Ruger cast housing. EDIT: Found a Ruger housing in the back of a drawer in my reloading/shooting work bench. Have to drill and tap it for one of my torsion springs and an over travel screw but that is easy. Moving the safety? Not so much!!

Oh well do not want to steal Mr. Hawkeye57's thread with my rantings. It is funny my new barrel looks so much like his old one though!!

Last edited by Vincent; 03-28-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Gee....A Ruger "T" barrel that looks very much like the original barrel on Old Brown Shoe has wandered over to my house!

Set back and re chambered by Randy @ CPC and has his 2" muzzle back bore as well! I am just amazed how things seem to be falling into place for my first SuperSport rifle (indeed my first heavy barrel 10/22 of any kind). Found a nice old style DSP stock with the butt plate rather than a recoil pad (I hope it does not beat my shoulder to death not having a pad). I also found a very nice bolt on E Bay that has "RUGER" engraved on the side you see. It will need to be pinned and maybe headspaced.

Gonna have to do what Ricochet used to do all the time by stealing (borrowing) a scope and trigger from one of the other rifles until I can afford those. Actually I have one trigger assembly that was on African Rose when i got it but the housing it tweaked so bad you have to pound the cross pins in Maybe I can find a housing because I have the guts. If I wait, maybe buy a machined housing instead of the Ruger cast housing.

Oh well do not want to steal Mr. Hawkeye57's thread with my rantings. It is funny my new barrel looks so much like his old one though!!
The one I had on Old Brown Shoe, has targets posted in many games, both Ultimate, and Super Sport Heavy.
I hope that yours will shoot the same, or better.
Most likely it will shoot better, once you get into your little bag of tricks.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye57 View Post
The one I had on Old Brown Shoe, has targets posted in many games, both Ultimate, and Super Sport Heavy.
I hope that yours will shoot the same, or better.
Most likely it will shoot better, once you get into your little bag of tricks.
Had a friend going on about my ".45 ACP 10/45" yesterday. He did not believe it until I showed him the muzzle! Then he started to doubt that he might be wrong because there it was.

It only took him a couple minutes to figure it out BUT for just a little while.....

Old 03-23-2017, 03:33 PM
maxiball

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old brown shoe is beautiful!

Nice, very nice!

Send it to me and I'll shoot it with many types of ammo FREE of charge! :>)

I think it's time I buy another stock 10-22 and build another.

Sooooooooooooooo many goodies so little money!

Last edited by maxiball; 03-23-2017 at 03:36 PM.