Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Hogue Nylon Overmold issue

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  crackedcornish 
#1 ·
Just got my overmold in the mail.

The screw hole does not align with the receiver screw hole. No gaps, everything is snug. The hole in the stock is simply a mm or two too far aft. Pushing down hard on the barrel gets it a little closer but at best it will start to cross thread so gave up on that.

Best bet would seem to be to use a drill to elongate the hole in the stock a bit so it will engage the receiver hole properly. Before I do that... what am it forgetting or missing?

These things are supposed to be drop in no muss no fuss replacement stocks so I figure I must be screwing something up.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Are you using a Ruger factory receiver or aftermarket? I have a Hogue .92 OM "rubber" stock that aligned perfectly with my Ruger receiver but not with my aftermarket NoDak Spud receiver. It was off a very very small amount on the screw alignment. To make it right, I drilled out the stock screw hole just a tiny bit and now the screw goes straight into the new receiver. It's also nice that the barrel is free floated in the Hogue stock.
Hope you get it to work out.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah its a factory Ruger receiver. Only changes are addition of BX trigger and a GM bull barrel.

Receiver is from 1980, so maybe this is some weird confluence of old and new parts not agreeing with each other precisely.

#8 ·
You likely only need to fit the stock to your receiver, making a hair more room for the lower front portion hanging down and wrapping across in front of the magazine to fully seat in the inletting and then have it stay there without the stock squirting it right back at ya as soon as you let loose of the barrel. Been there, done it.

#10 ·
I'll look into this but not sure I think it is the problem. If that area were too tight and not fitting well, the likely outcome would seem to be pushing the receiver further BACK into the stock, which would tend to cure the screw alignment issue.

If anything it seems like the area back where the receiver hit the stock would need to be relieved a bit, thus allowing the receiver to slide further back into the stock, lining up the screw holes.

In other words, the issue you outline would seem to push the screw hole in the stock too far forward, which is the opposite of my problem.

But like I said thanks for the suggestion!

#14 ·
Quick update for anyone who cares.

Spent a lot of time with it last night. I decided that dremeling up the inletting in an effort to align the screw holes was beyond my comfort level so I elongated the screw hole a bit, and then reworked the molded in escutcheon a bit. The whole thing rocks a bit so I plan on:
1) Using aluminum tape on the receiver to lock it down more
2) JBWeld Bedding the area where the vblock sits since that is not making perfect contact
3) Not sure if this has been tried ever - using expanding foam to create a pad for about the first inch in front of the vblock within the stock (a lot of empty space there not present in a wood stock). I've used expanding foam for a lot of non-std uses so I am pretty familiar with how aggressively it expands and that it is a ***** to clean up so careful taping and so on will be the order of the day.

#16 ·
I agree it is nasty. But a little at a time, and careful masking and daming with putty, etc it is manageable. My old hobby was RC planes and I used the stuff quite a bit in that context and if you are careful it is workable. And it is also reversible if need be.

Only possible drawback could be that it might compress a bit over time. But then I figure you can go the bicycle patch shim route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.