Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Old Winchester found in the woods

8K views 67 replies 38 participants last post by  JStravage 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

My brother just called me this morning telling me he found a rifle while exploring the back woods of Idaho. Said it was wedged between a large rock formation. Looks to me to be a 1906 but Im not really an expert on these and thought you guys would be able to shed some light on this find. It was loaded with a round chambered and a few bullets in the magazine. Said they had a Rem headstamp and looked to be a lead hollowpoint. Shockingly he said the action works fine, which would lead me to believe it wasnt out there that long but I dont know. Of course I told him not to shoot it until we get a good look at the inside but first, I wanted to get a little info from the Rimfire Central experts.

What do you guys think? Thank you.

Scoutman

See less See more
#32 ·
good pics

Interesting story, and you took some good quality pics. I wish everybody could do close-ups, well-lit and sharply focused like that.

This old Winchester pump action looks a lot like the one that my dad's best friend had, which Dad would borrow to take me shooting with when I was a kid.

But that rifle had the newest patent date of 1911 on it, and the fore-end was grooved, not smooth. It was a sweet-handling and slim little rifle.

#34 ·
In most states laws on Lost, mislaid and abandoned property require that the finder makes a "reasonable effort" to locate the owner, it's not as simple as finders keepers.
I found a Ruger Super single Six at the boat ramp that I use several years ago.
It's not a heavily use ramp and it's rather remote and many people go there just to target practice. The following day I took it to the Sheriffs Dept. and told them were I had found it. They told me that if the gun wasn't stolen and the owner could not be found I could get it back in 30 days. 31 days later they called me and said to come and pick up the gun and to this day I still have it. Now granted I live in a rural area not a city if I did I may have never seen the gun again.

#39 ·
I read an article years ago about a 1800s Henry rifle being found in one of the arid Southwest ghost towns. It was in the front of a closet, where you had to stick your head in and look backwards to see it. Apparently no one had for a long time. The brass receiver had some nice engraving, and it seemed unfired. Likely a gift or award of some sort to the original owner. IIRC it was rated 80% condition with good wood.

What would you do with a "found" gun whose previous owner was certainly long since dead??

#41 ·
Andy52 is exactly right. Most states have statutory laws governing what happens to abandoned or "found" property. Finding a rifle in the woods does not make it yours. The correct and honest thing to do is to contact your local law enforcement agency and to tell them the truth about what happened. They will most likely advise you of the correct legal process to be followed. Under most state laws (depending on the item of property) you may end up becoming the owner of the property. For now--you are not. This is a simple Golden Rule issue--if you had lost or misplaced the gun yourself would you want someone to return it to you?

#45 ·
Thank you. I will never know how that pistol ended on the ground, I suspect it was left on the top of a car or bumper of a truck when the person drove away.
One of the concerns lurking in my head when I found it at the ramp was it may have been used in the commission of a crime. The ramp is on the Mississippi river and is remote not a jump of imagination to think someone got shot, gun got dropped and the body sent floating down the river. Not the kind of thing I wanted in my possession until it cleared.

#44 ·
In the mid 50s another kid and I were rummaging through some trash under a creek bridge and found four Winchesters. There were two 1906s and two model 1887 12 gauge lever action shot guns. There was also a lot of personal papers including a marriage license. It had all been stolen and dumped. The property belonged to an old local gun smith.

Being the good kids we were we returned the property. The gun smith was so thrilled to get his guns back that he gave us each one half box of .410 shells.

Whenever I'm at a gun show and see one of those old lever actions I have mixed emotions about that generous old gun smith.:p

#46 ·
Who owns this "back woods"? If it's private property the landowner may well have ownership rights and they should be easy to identify. If it is public land it's more likely to be up for grabs.
I agree with those saying it's not been there very long.
And I disagree with anyone recommending lying to the authorities about a firearm.

#47 ·
If it has been reported stolen youre in posession of stolen property. You might lose every firearm you own. Not worth the value of a couple hundred dollars. Turn it in, if you get it back good karma, if you dont get it back youre not out anything.

Just my two cents worth.

#53 ·
It is all work at Cody, no time for Cheese on a Stick. See how serious FlysAlot takes his work.

Well, maybe not ALL work......here is 22AGS playing hooky from the McCracken Research Library at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West. What a slacker! :hide:

This post has been deleted
#54 · (Edited)
He saw I was wearing one and being a slave to fashion didn't want to clash. Incidentally boys, I've got a backlog of show'n'tells to load up soon. Two signed books one each from JWA and Flysalot, one 52C, a nickel-plated 1890, a second year 9422 without any barrel markings except the proof mark, and a little ditty on the 77 I recently went ten rounds with. Coming soon.
:D

#59 ·
Scoutman,

I apologize for participating in your thread hijack.

I agree the 1906 has not been out in the weather long, I also agree an attempt should be made to find the rightful owner as it is the proper thing to do.

If you end up keeping possession of the rifle you will find a good resource here for information.

Again, sorry I helped sidetrack the discussion.

Best Regards,

#60 ·
Yeah, me too, sorry Scout. We do that but stand ready to answering your questions at some point, usually sooner rather than later. I would also say the gun is relatively freshly abandoned. Someone knows they left it behind, just not sure what the motive or situation entailed. Go through the proper route of good will in finding the owner, and if no one turns up and the gun doesn't come back as the object of some crime, you have the raw material to hand to resurrect a fine 22 rifle.

#62 ·
Don't know about the rest of you, but I have spent my entire life trying to stay out of prison, and except for 8 hours in 1967 I have succeeded. I were drunk, drunk, drunk, and Mama beat my young butt, and made me pay the $12.50 to get out of the tank. And it is hard to take a whippin' when you are suffering a wine hangover.

Concocting a "story" for the police is the last thing you want to do. It ain't like the cynical officer that you speak with has not heard a lie before. Ask Martha Stewart how life in a Federal Correction facility is. She lied to the Feds about an illegal stock transaction that at most would have earned her a fine.

In the Free State of Georgia Theft of Lost or Mislaid Property is a crime. Notice Mislaid. Possession of Stolen Goods is also a crime. The rifle, if reconditioned is worth $400? Please!

Think about the consequences of your actions and follow the Golden Rule.

Idaho has 10 prisons and I am sure they could squeeze you in. Contrary to popular belief, prison sex is not that great.

Make the right decision.

Yours,

Ock

#67 ·
I tip my hat. You're a good man.

I've been behind 3-4 prison walls and in 5-6 jails. Never serving time. Never had sex in any of 'em. Always a bad feeling when you feel the key turn in the lock even if you know they' ll let you out.

Don't know that you answered my question.

Ock

#68 ·
Hi
New to rimfire central, old time shooter,
My Carry Glock 27
My Steel Shooter Glock 34
since my buds hit the range once a week my range gun Buckmark Contour 7.25 NS URX. still working out the kinks, scope, RedDot,

I just checked the serial number against the largest user-submitted database of stolen firearms. The HotGunz Stolen Firearms Database has OVER 14,000 stolen guns from all over North America, I never buy a gun before checking on www.hotgunz.com first. at this point, it looks to be a GOOD find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.