Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

why does kidd recommend the Magpul over the Victor Titan stock?

20K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  crackedcornish 
#1 ·
I have all the components for an all Kidd build with the exception for the stock. I did not purchase the rear tang. I was thinking of the Victor Titan stock after reading the thread on them. However, in speaking to the people working for Kidd, they recommend the Magpul stock, but they wouldn't say why. I don't want to make a mistake at this point, that is why I bought all Kidd components. Your input would be appreciated.

#4 ·
Early this year i bought two Kidd receivers, one black, one silver and enough Kidd components to complete one build. I decided to build on the silver receiver with the addition of a black Titan stock, and Leupold scope. I gambled on the Titan stock because of all the features it offered along with their rear anchor that was compatible with the Kidd receiver. I'm extremely happy how it turned out! Form, fitment, function, and most important accuracy ,all to my satisfaction. IMO the components of these two companies work extremely well . The Titan has a very solid feel, and the Kidd components, well, they speak for themselves. I know where the black build is going....sorta, just trying to figure out which Kidd barrel and what color Titan stock :p .

#11 ·
I have and own an X-22 and it's a great stock. I enjoy it quite a bit and it's very accurate.
I recently shot a Titan / Kidd receiver combo and it also was very solid. The biggest difference I noticed between the two while using them was the difference in the grip width and cant. It was also solid and accurate. I'm much more knowledgeable with the X22, there is nothing secret or magical about it that I can think of that would make it inherently more accurate than the Titan.

I suggest pick the one that you like best and take comfort in the fact that you have a solid quality stock. It the representatives at the manufacturer couldn't / wouldn't answer your question, anything you hear here will be conjecture at best.

#12 ·
My gut says go with the Titan since Michael Victor is one of our sponsors and provides such good customer service as I have read here. My gut is that the people who work at Kidd are recommending the Magpul because the Titan doesn't work with the Kidd tang. I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you!

#16 ·
First, let me say that I have a lot of Magpul stuff on my AR 15's, AR 10's and one 870. It all works very well for it's intended purpose. When I got ready to stock my Kidd (it was in a Hogue) I ordered the Titan along with their rear attachment lug. I had absolutely no issues whatsoever attaching my Kidd to the Titan and it was quite an upgrade from the Hogue. I have a short rail on the front for an Atlas bipod and use the quick release swivel stud on the forend for a short shoulder loop sing for shooting without the bipod. I am pleased with my purchase of the Titan stock. It also wears a Leupold 6.5 to 20 EFR Airgun scope in Seekins rings. One of my centerfire buddies was astounded to see how much cash you can tie up in a 22!
I would also expect the Magpul to be high quality as well. I would purchase the Titan again.
chris

#17 ·
I have three Titans with their hold down. They have Kidd actions, barrels and triggers. The Titan hold down is superior to the Kidd in my opinion. Why ? Well with the Kidd the hold down screws in from the top. When I wanted to take the action/barrel off, the scope was in the way. With the Titan the hold down screws in from the bottom and you can take it apart intact. The Titan is also beefier and easier to set the torque . Can't get a fat wrench into the Kidd with it scoped.

#18 ·
I have no idea why kidd does but I looked at both when I got my new Kidd barrel. I went X-22 just because of the features like adjustable LOP, check riser and M-lok options. Since mine is more of a field plinker those were attractive to me. Mine arrives next week so I hope to have real hands on feedback soon.

#20 ·
Why …? My --> “guess” <-- is that Magpul probably offered ‘em a really honkin’ deal on a truck load of X-22 stocks. In a cruise through the SS Match barrel Q&A section you’ll find that Kidd still recommends fully floating the barrel for best harmonics, which translates into greater accuracy potential. Titan stocks, with or without their version of the Kidd receiver rear anchor, allow you to adjust out any clearance betwixt their stock and trigger housing’s backside, or with their Kidd rear anchor, bolt down the receiver’s backside, either way allowing for a full float of the barrel all the while preventing the barreled action from teeter tottering within the stock, pivoting overtop the original design’s single action screw. The X-22 stock design relies on a still better than nutin, barrel proper upper thing-a-ma-jig located somewhere within the barrel channel.

#23 ·
i just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to give me the input I needed. I decided to go with the Victor Titan stock. It arrived on Monday. From the time that I opened it until the time it was finished I was blown away. The precision with which it is made and the packaging, just scream quality. I had absolutely zero issues installing my silver all Kidd build in the olive drab stock. The barrel is perfectly centered, the rear hold down precisely fit the Kidd receiver and sits perfectly flush with the stock.
I also want to thank both Michael and Heather Victor for their great customer service and friendly demeanor. I will be calling them again for a stock for my 17hm2 10/22 conversion with Kidd parts. Now I just have to wait for a calm day that coincides with a day off to try my new rifle out.

#24 ·
I did a complete Kidd build with receiver ,barrel and trigger group .I used a Magpul x22 stock it is extremely tight with no space at the back of the receiver .The barrel.920 is dead center in the barrel channel and is also completely free floating .I love the feel of this stock and it has turned out to be an extremely accurate rifle:bthumb:

#30 ·
I had a Victor Titan when they first came out. It was heavy, had an uncomfortable grip angle, and the threaded inserts were small and brass like a cheap Chinese-made toy so I sent it back to Brownells. I replaced it with a Magpul that fits me perfect. It is nice and stiff, and also fits the Kidd receiver and trigger unit perfectly. The rifle fits in the stock nice and snug. I asked Tony Kidd about installing a rear tang attachment and he told me the Magpul stock really doesn’t need it. Kidd doesn’t make or sell junk. I doubt they would sell Magpul stocks without good reason.

#33 ·
I bought the Magpul due to the LOP and cheek riser options. One selling point of the Titan stock is you can stand on the stock and it won't collapse. I don't plan on standing on my Magpul so that feature on the Titan didn't impress me at all.

Bill