Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

redot

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  1bdvet 
#1 ·
Took off the redot tried to use iron sights on my pistol and bolt WZ 78, putting scope and redot. I can shoot ok but not that well with iron sights, 59 years old, eyes sad I like iron sights. Thanks

#3 ·
Same problem here. There is a very long thread on another gun forum going right now about this exact topic. I have found that red dots are the easiest solution but dang it I want to use iron sights too! I'm currently playing with different prescriptions of reading glasses like JStacey suggested. If I find the right power I can get stick-on vinyl lenses and slap them on my shooting glasses. There are a lot of options...keep trying!

#4 ·
Yep, I have the same problems with older eyes. Looking at my front sight by doing the common 'head tilt' and looking at the front sight through my bifocals works well for a crisp, clear front sight picture. My problem is that anything beyond 15-20 yards, I can't see the target well enough. Heck, if some of my targets didn't have that blurry, bright red center, they would look like a black and white blob with no features whatsoever. at those distances.

As much as I like iron sights, a red dot is the solution for me if I want to shoot well. Red dot sights are simpler and faster. Being able to hold steady enough to put the dot where I want the bullet to go and squeezing the trigger when I'm on is the only challenge now. I have to say that a red dot allows me to shoot as well as I ever did, even when I was younger and didn't need glasses.

#8 ·
Yes, red dot sights are hard to beat on a Mark pistol. They allow you to focus on both the dot and the target simultaneously -- something that is optically impossible with iron sights. For that reason, red dot sights are a natural for us older guys. My vision is still 20/20 but I still appreciate red dot sights. And since the mount on the upper does not move when the Mark pistol fires, these pistols are a particularly good platform for red dot sights.

#13 ·
same problem here, without glasses I can see the target but not the sights, with glasses I can see the sights but not the target, put a red dot on my contender pistol last fall and it worked great for deer hunting, ordered a mount this week to put a red dot on my MKl bull barrel.

#14 ·
I'm in my mid-60's, and have worn glasses for nearsightedness since grade school.

I have one pistol with a red dot mounted, an old Tasco that I've never had to have re-dotted. ;)

I also have an Ultradot that I'm going to mount on something, someday. But like many of you, I just like using traditional sights. There is a good reason to do so; I can blame my normally poor shooting on my vision and the sights. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.