Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

1971 Glenfield/Marlin 60

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Yojoe1964 
#1 · (Edited)
I went to one of my favorite shops today and this mint 60 came home with me. It came with the Glenfield 4x15 scope. I would conclude after disassembly this rifle has been shot very little.

#3 ·
Beautiful rifle, I really like the stock on your rifle. I picked up a 1973 Marlin Glenfield off Gunbroker at a good price, the stock is in good condition but,
looks like it's imitation wood. I'll post some photo's tomorrow. Good luck with your Model 60, it's a beauty...:bthumb:

#15 ·
Somehow I ended up with two, one very nice and the other almost new.

I had one as a kid and to thank my brother and a friend, gave them each one. Meanwhile, my other brother I gave an older marlin. He HAS my Glenfield from the 70's and says I can have it back :) :bthumb:

So all is going well...

#16 ·
great find

there are some excellent condition vintage guns out there, just takes some looking. about a year ago my LGS had a trade in, mid 1950s Marlin 81DL that I picked up for $225.00. 95%+ condition, still had original peep sight, front hood. it also included a vintage military leather sling. it is one fine shooting bolt gun, but has one of the stiffest bolt actions I have ever experienced. enjoy your marlin, it IS A CLASSIC.

#18 · (Edited)
Just a couple weeks ago I stopped at a small lgs to look at any used .22s and bought a 81 DL from before WWII with the wide forend for $150. No peep but I lucked out on ebay and bought one for under $70 the same week. About 40% of the finish is gone from the stock so I plan on refinishing it. I need to wait for nicer weather as I like to use the finish stripper outside. I've been shooting it offhand in 10 below weather and it seems real accurate and the best trigger I've had on a Marlin bolt action. Used Marlins are a bargain, enjoy yours.

#19 ·
GREAT FIND

excellent price. even with buying the peep sight you did so good. that is an early one, long before micro groove rifling. I had to refinish mine too, some of the original finish was flaking off. nice walnut underneath the 50yo finish. I use Kleen strip spray from wal mart, hang the stock up from the roof of my deck with a chain fastened to a butt plate screw. news paper below, and spray away, watch the nasty stuff run off!! I spend a LOT OF TIME sanding, that is the key to a beautiful final finish. I finish with 800 and 1000 grit. smooth as a babys bottom. Lin-speed is my old favorite since the 1960s, gives a wonderful color to the wood, satin finish. enjoy your 81DL, it IS A CLASSIC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.