Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

cz 453--22 shorts safe to shoot?

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  wharvey 
#1 ·
I have a cz 453 in 22 long rifle. Is it ok to shoot 22 shorts out of it? Just thought maybe they would be a little quieter than wolf me for home pest control. Anyone shoot any shorts and hows accuracy?Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
There is a wide variety of ammo choice for the short ranging from gallery rounds that come in at around 730 fps, target rounds in around 1000 fps, and hollow point (plated) high velocity rounds that are around 1105 fps. They will all safely shoot from any 22 rimfire rifle but accuracy may be an issue with all but the rifles specifically chambered for this round. The case length is shorter than 22 LR by about 1/5" and the overall length of the round is close to a 1/3" shorter.

Because of this shorter length the bullet has to jump that distance in the chamber before engaging the bore and rifling. This jump causes gases to leak by and also keeps the bullet from properly centering up in the bore.

I have a Remington Nylon 66 made specifically for 22 shorts. It was made in the 60's sometime and I believe it was one of the last rifles specifically made to chamber the 22 short. The 22 short would have probably dissappeared from production if it were not for some hunting laws which prohibit the more powerful rimfire rounds from being used in (eg.) raccoon hunting in many states.

#3 ·
The gun will probally shoot the shorts fine. You should not shoot many as it can hurt the chamber. I know -I bought a Remington 510 at a show for a kid gun. I later tried it and found it would not eject very good, cleaned it again and tried it again--same problem. Got out the borescope and it appeared that it had had many shorts fired in it and the chamber was pitted making the empty case hard to remove. My advice--don't do it.
Jim

#8 ·
You asked if they are safe to shoot in your 453. The answer is yes. Wise to shoot a steady diet of them i.e. plinking? No, as to the reasons given. I shoot Aquila Super Colibri in my 452 to dispatch chipmunks that want to invade my garage. Works great as long as the little 20 gr. bullets exit the barrel, which they have done so far. But I don't make a habit of it.

#10 ·
A barrel/action that can shoot .22LR, .22 Long, and .22 Short, is not marked ".22LR, .22 Long, and .22 Short." They're marked ".22LR." That doesn't mean it's not safe to shoot the other 2. Like others have said, it's best not to shoot a bunch through it, but it is safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.